Wednesday, July 1, 2009

[jQuery] Re: jquery prompt replacement

There are no plugins like that because you can't do that in JavaScript. You
can't block execution of JavaScript code until some event (such as closing
your lightbox-style confirmation) occurs.

The best you can do is to call another function when the event happens. This
is why every asynchronous JavaScript API uses callback functions.

I haven't looked at any of the plugins you're talking about, but I'm sure
they all work that way. (Or perhaps they fire a custom event, but that's
really the same thing as calling a callback function.)

So instead of code like your example:

var value = prompt( 'enter value' );
alert( value );

You'd expect to use a pattern like this:

prompt( 'enter value', function( value ) {
alert( value );
});

-Mike

> From: pantagruel
>
> Hi,
>
> I've seen a number of jquery prompt replacements that allow
> you to have a customizable prompt of some sort but none that
> allow you to actually use it the way a prompt is normally
> used - that would say var x = prompt("please enter your
> value"); alert(x);
>
> Is there anything like that?
>
> If not - I have a situation like this where I have functions
> that take a function as a parameter - for example:
>
> newProc(Command('info'));
>
> Command returns a value based on, in some cases at least, the
> value a user inputs in response to a prompt.
>
> Does anyone have an example of how you would do that using
> any of the prompt replacing libraries?
>

No comments: